- 1 bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (2 lbs)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- cup melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 can 10 oz cream soup (cream of chicken or cream of mushroom work very well)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups crushed Corn Flakes
- cup melted butter
- You can also use Simply Potatoes hash browns (see photo) which are not frozen. They are in the refrigerator section of the grocery store. That eliminates the need to thaw the hash browns. Simply Potatoes are more expensive than the bagged frozen hash browns though, so most Southerners go with the frozen hash browns.
- Southern Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- 1.As mentioned above, thaw hash browns (or use refrigerator style hash browns).
- 2.In a large bowl, mix together hash browns, cheddar cheese, cup melted butter, salt, onion, soup, and sour cream. Stir until evenly mixed.
- 3.Spray a 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 inch pan or casserole dish with Pam or lightly grease the dish. This helps on clean up.
- 4.Pour mixture from bowl into pan and spread evenly with a spoon. Do not pack down tightly.
- 5.In a small bowl, mix together Corn Flakes and cup melted butter. Mix together and spread on top of casserole.
- 6.Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes without a lid. The top should be lightly browned when done.
- This is a large casserole (feeds 12 or more), and it is not from the healthy cooking file. Depending on the size of the serving, expect between 300 to 400 calories per hearty serving with about half those calories from fat. For these reasons, this recipe is usually served for special occasions. And, the casserole dish usually comes home empty.
- Read more at Suite101: Southern Hash Brown Casserole Recipe: Cracker Barrel was the Copycat - Here's the Original Home Casserole http://www.suite101.com/content/southern-hash-brown-casserole-recipe-a66599#ixzz14RsTA8O2
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JoiaLee and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hashbrown casserole Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Casseroles