- 1 lemon, halved, bottoms trimmed flat
- 1 medium-size orange or 2 satsuma oranges, halved
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups packed mixed bitter greens (such as frisée, radicchio, and arugula)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red-skinned apple or pear, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- Spiced Glazed Pecans
How to Make It
Preheat broiler with oven rack 3 to 5 inches from heat. Pat lemon and orange halves dry with a paper towel, and sprinkle cut sides with sugar. Place, cut side up, in an aluminum foil-lined jelly-roll pan, and broil 5 to 8 minutes or until caramelized and slightly softened. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
Squeeze juice from broiled citrus into a small bowl. Stir in vinegar and next 3 ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let citrus mixture stand 10 minutes. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth.
Toss together greens, onion slices, and apple slices with desired amount of vinaigrette in a large bowl. Refrigerate any remaining dressing to use later (up to 1 week). Season salad with salt and pepper, and toss again. Sprinkle with cheese and pecans.