Harvest-Festival Fruit Strudels
Although these are connected to Sukkoth, you can make them any time of the year because dried fruits and fresh apples, which go into the pastry, are always available. The only fat in this recipe comes from the small amount of margarine and oil used to brush the sheets of phyllo.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 233
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 161mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 (8-ounce) packages dried mixed fruit, diced
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 5 1/3 cups diced cooking apple (2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup stick margarine
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 16 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Cooking spray
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer fruit mixture 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove fruit mixture from heat, and stir in apple. Cool, uncovered, and discard cinnamon stick.
- Combine the margarine and oil in a small saucepan; cook over low heat until the marga-rine melts, stirring well. Combine the breadcrumbs and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on a large cutting board or work surface (cover the remaining dough to keep from drying), and lightly brush with margarine mixture. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the breadcrumb mixture lengthwise down the 4-inch center section of phyllo. Spoon 1/3 cup of fruit mixture onto the breadcrumb mixture about 2 inches from one short end, spreading fruit mixture to form a 4 x 2-inch rectangle. Fold one long side on phyllo over filling, and repeat with other long side, overlapping phyllo. Starting at short edge with filling, roll up phyllo jelly-roll fashion. (Do not roll tightly, or the strudel may split.) Place strudel, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly coat strudel with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with the remaining phyllo, margarine mixture, breadcrumb mixture, and fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until strudel is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note