"Embrace the veggies" by Alison Ladman, AP. To toast the oats, place them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes. Alternatively, spread them evenly over a baking sheet and toast at 350 F for 5 minutes. Dress burger as desired: a slab of cheddar and a slather of mayonnaise, tzatziki or hummus. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: December 28, 2011.
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup(s) corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup(s) cooked brown rice
- 1 cup(s) quick oats, lightly toasted
- 1 15-ounce can(s) pumpkin or squash puree
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 6 burger buns or large rolls
- 1. In a medium skillet over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the cumin and onion and sauté until the onions soften and begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper and corn kernels and sauté until just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- 2. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Add the rice, oats, pumpkin, cilantro, balsamic vinegar, cayenne, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Form the mixture into 6 patties.
- 3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the patties to the skillet, in batches, if needed, and brown for 3 minutes per side. Serve on buns with preferred condiments.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note