Harvest Beef Stew
More From Southern Living
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat (about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can beef broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 lb.), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional)
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- 1. Rinse beef stew meat, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss in flour, shaking off excess.
- 2. Cook half of beef in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining beef and oil. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add broth, and stir to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Transfer mixture to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. Stir in celery, onion, and garlic. Top with butternut squash. (Do not stir to incorporate.) Cover and cook on LOW 4 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over hot cooked mashed potatoes, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews