Harvest Beef Stew
More From Southern Living
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat (about 1-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can beef broth
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1 lb.), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional)
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- 1. Rinse beef stew meat, and pat dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss in flour, shaking off excess.
- 2. Cook half of beef in 2 Tbsp. hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until browned. Repeat procedure with remaining beef and oil. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Add broth, and stir to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven. Transfer mixture to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. Stir in celery, onion, and garlic. Top with butternut squash. (Do not stir to incorporate.) Cover and cook on LOW 4 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over hot cooked mashed potatoes, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note