Harissa Lamb with Lemon Mint Chickpea Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Kevin Crafts
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 621
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Sodium: 489mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 1/4 cup harissa*
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound lamb knuckle or bottom roast
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- Peel from 1 lemon (use a vegetable peeler), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). In a small bowl, combine harissa, garlic, and 1/4 cup oil; set some aside for serving. Cut lamb into 4 pieces, then brush 2 tbsp. of paste over each. Grill lamb, turning and brushing with a little more paste as you go, until done the way you like, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice.
- 2. For salad, mix together chickpeas, mint, lemon peel, juice, salt, onion, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Serve lamb slices over or mixed into bean salad, with reserved harissa sauce on the side.
- *Buy harissa, a North African chile-and-spice paste, in the international section of many supermarkets.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes