- 1/4 cup harissa*
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound lamb knuckle or bottom roast
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- Peel from 1 lemon (use a vegetable peeler), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- calories 621
- caloriesfromfat 64 %
- protein 32 g
- fat 45 g
- satfat 12 g
- carbohydrate 22 g
- fiber 6.1 g
- sodium 489 mg
- cholesterol 99 mg
How to Make It
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). In a small bowl, combine harissa, garlic, and 1/4 cup oil; set some aside for serving. Cut lamb into 4 pieces, then brush 2 tbsp. of paste over each. Grill lamb, turning and brushing with a little more paste as you go, until done the way you like, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice.
For salad, mix together chickpeas, mint, lemon peel, juice, salt, onion, and remaining 1/4 cup oil. Serve lamb slices over or mixed into bean salad, with reserved harissa sauce on the side.
*Buy harissa, a North African chile-and-spice paste, in the international section of many supermarkets.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.