Hanger Steak with Green-Garlic Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 272
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 1.9g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 315mg
- Cholesterol: 80mg
- 2 hanger steaks or 1 skirt steak (1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped green garlic* or green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1. Sprinkle steaks with 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add steaks and cook, turning once, until medium-rare, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; tent with foil.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tbsp. butter to pan. Add green garlic and garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- 3. Pour in broth, wine, and vinegar and cook, stirring to release browned bits, until reduced by two-thirds. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter. Season with remaining 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper and serve with sliced steak.
- *Buy green garlic (harvested before the bulb is mature) at farmers' markets and Asian grocers in spring and early summer.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes
Food & Wine