I gave this 1 star as the recipe was written. After reading the recipe yesterday I decided to make this for dinner. To those who found it bland and tasteless, you have to remember that usually if the recipe is from Cooking Light it's going to be that way and the portions are more for tots than grown ups and lack comfort factor. I tweaked this by using 85/15 ground beef, 1 can of beef broth, 1/4 cup of Chardonnay (my favorite white wine for cooking), doubled the flour, added 1 Tb of A1 sauce, increased the garlic to 1 Tb minced fresh. Also I increased the black pepper to 1/2 tsp and stirred in 2 cups of regular sour cream and 1 packed tsp of snipped fresh dill (I always add fresh dill to my stroganoff) and stirred in 2 Tbs of butter along with the sour cream. I fixed a 16 oz pkg of wide egg noodles to serve it over. We got 4 nice sized portions and are having the last half of it for dinner tonight. We gave the tweaked results 5 stars.
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
Serve a lightened version of this classic dish with a tossed green salad and sautéed red and green bell pepper strips for a satisfying family-friendly meal.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup stroganoff, 2/3 cup pasta, and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 322
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 23.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.1g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 541mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef, extra lean
- 1 cup prechopped onion
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain.
- 2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to pan; cook 4 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 minute or until slightly thick. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 3. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and sherry. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note