Community Recipe from
- Hamburger Buddy
- From EatingWell: September/October 2007, EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
- Very finely chopping onion, mushrooms and carrots in the food processor is not only fast—it makes the vegetables hard to detect for picky eaters. They also form the base for the sauce of this ground beef skillet supper. Make it a meal: Serve with a green salad.
- 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each | Active Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, large ones cut in half
- 1 large onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound 90%-lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow noodles, (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or chives for garnish
- Fit a food processor with the steel blade attachment. With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube and process until minced, then add carrots and mushrooms and process until finely chopped. Turn it off, add onion, and pulse until roughly chopped.
- Cook beef in a large straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped vegetables, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables start to soften and the mushrooms release their juices, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in water, 1 1/2 cups broth, noodles and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk flour with the remaining 1/4 cup broth in a small bowl until smooth; stir into the hamburger mixture. Stir in the sour cream. Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve sprinkled with parsley (or chives), if desired.
- Per serving : 326 Calories; 10 g Fat; 4 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 54 mg Cholesterol; 38 g Carbohydrates; 23 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 431 mg Sodium; 644 mg Potassium
- 2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meats
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Melissa123 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Hamburger Buddy Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes