This is the heartiest..best tasting soup I've had in a long time!! Followed the recipe exactly as it was written. Will definitely be a repeat at this house!!
Ham and Vegetable Soup
All you need is 20 minutes to put together this hearty soup made with ham, bacon, and six different fresh vegetables. While the soup simmers for 30 minutes, warm up some crusty bread and throw together a quick salad.
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 large leeks with 2 inches of green top, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package precut carrot chips or slices (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 10 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 3 cups diced cooked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Garnishes: drizzled balsamic vinegar, grated Parmiggiano-Reggiano
- 1. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp; crumble and set aside, reserving drippings (about 2 tablespoons) in pan. Add leeks and celery to pan with drippings; cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat 6 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and rosemary; cook 1 minute. Add carrot and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard ham bone. Ladle into individual soup bowls; sprinkle with reserved crumbled bacon and parsley. Garnish, if desired.
For added flavor, include the ham bone in the pot. Toss in any other remaining vegetables, including green beans, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, or roasted potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note