- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons port wine
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 pound sliced cooked ham, divided
- Toast points
How to Make It
Sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter in a medium skillet until tender; set aside.
Melt remaining butter in a 2- quart saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in wine, 1 cup cheese, and pepper. Set aside.
Chop half of ham slices; add chopped ham and sautéed mushrooms to cheese sauce. Line bottom and sides of a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish with remaining ham slices. Pour cheese mixture over ham, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes. Spoon hot over toast points.