Ham and Lentil Stew
- 2 leeks
- 1 meaty ham bone from a spiral sliced ham
- 4 carrots, sliced into 1/2
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can beef consommé
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Remove root, tough outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 2" of dark leaves. Slice leeks; rinse well, and drain.
- Place ham bone in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add leeks and remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on HIGH 1 hour; reduce heat to LOW, and cook 6 hours. Remove ham bone; cool slightly. Cut off meat and chop. Discard bone; return meat to stew.
- Dutch Oven Method: Combine all ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove ham bone, cut off meat, and continue as directed above.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews