Here is a good tip for this recipe, just replace the ham by some jamon iberico de bellota, in case you do not know it this is probably the best ham in the world, it is extremely tasty and healthy (no cholesterol), it comes from a particular breed of swine only found in Spain and Portugal. While it is a bit pricey, the results on the recipe are just amazing. If you want to keep it low budget, buy some Serrano ham which is also great. I always buy my iberico ham online at Buyjamon.com as it is fresh and delivered to your door.
Ham Fried Rice
You can also use chicken or shrimp in this flavorful dish or any combination you may have on hand.
More From Southern Living
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 1/2 cups cooked rice*
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Cook bacon slices in a large skillet or wok at medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon slices, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Add chopped ham to hot drippings in skillet, and stir-fry 3 minutes or until ham is lightly browned. Add bell pepper and next 5 ingredients, and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add rice, and stir-fry 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Push rice mixture to sides of skillet, forming a well in center. Pour eggs into well, and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set. Stir rice mixture into eggs; stir in soy sauce and crumbled bacon. Spoon into serving bowls.
- *2 (3.5-ounce) bags quick-cooking long-grain rice, cooked, may be substituted for leftover rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note