My souffle was puffy and beautiful but somewhat bland (probably my fault since I used frozen corn and some leftover chopped ham from the freezer).
Ham, Corn, and Cheese Soufflé
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Ashley Johnson
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 22.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 378mg
- Calcium: 193mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 large ears)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2/3 cup diced Maple-Glazed Ham (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add corn and green onions; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, and stir in ham; set aside.
- Place the flour in a small saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and pepper.
- Beat egg yolks in a medium bowl at high speed of a mixer until thick and pale (about 5 minutes). Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg yolks, stirring constantly. Stir in the corn mixture, and set aside.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) and cream of tartar in a large bowl at high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into corn mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared soufflé dish. Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This