Terrible recipe. Needed to follow the suggestion of daneanp to make a cream sauce and add cheese. The dish was very watery--not appealing at all. Very disappointing.
Ham and Cheese Macaroni Bake with Peas
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Katie Stoddard
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 470
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 15.1g
- Saturated fat: 8.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 27g
- Carbohydrate: 56.1g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 771mg
- Calcium: 393mg
- 1 pound uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups chopped lean ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Cook pasta in boiling water 6 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Combine pasta, ham, and peas in a large bowl.
- 3. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add milk; bring to simmer. Remove from heat; stir in cheeses, salt, and peppers. Pour cheese mixture over pasta mixture; stir to coat. Spoon pasta mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/4 cups. Combine breadcrumbs and butter in a bowl. Arrange breadcrumb mixture evenly over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note