Ham and Cheese Cellentani
A crunchy rye breadcrumb topping, spiral-shaped pasta, sweet ham, and three types of cheese update the classic macaroni and cheese recipe.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 356
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated fat: 5.0g
- Protein: 20.0g
- Carbohydrate: 44.9g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 611mg
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Calcium: 321mg
- 1 2 ounces uncooked short cellentani (spiral-shaped pasta)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina or smoked fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cooked lean ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Cooking spray
- 2 (1-ounce) slices hearty rye bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add 1/2 cup milk, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Stir in remaining milk. Place saucepan over medium heat; cook until thick (about 7 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheeses, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in salt, mustard, and pepper. Fold in pasta, ham, and chives. Coat individual gratin dishes or a 13 x 9- inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon pasta mixture into dishes.
- Pulse bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add oil, and pulse to blend. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over pasta mixture and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This