- 1 2 ounces uncooked short cellentani (spiral-shaped pasta)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina or smoked fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cooked lean ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Cooking spray
- 2 (1-ounce) slices hearty rye bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- calories 356
- fat 10.7 g
- satfat 5.0 g
- protein 20.0 g
- carbohydrate 44.9 g
- cholesterol 33 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 611 mg
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fiber 1.7 g
- calcium 321 mg
How to Make It
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain, and keep warm.
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add 1/2 cup milk, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Stir in remaining milk. Place saucepan over medium heat; cook until thick (about 7 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheeses, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in salt, mustard, and pepper. Fold in pasta, ham, and chives. Coat individual gratin dishes or a 13 x 9- inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon pasta mixture into dishes.
Pulse bread in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add oil, and pulse to blend. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture evenly over pasta mixture and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Serve immediately.