- 12 ounces cavatappi pasta, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Crystal Farms® Butter, unsalted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup Crystal Farms Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Crystal Farms® Butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed
- Recommended Crystal Farms Products Substitutions: Cyrstal Farms Shredded Wisconsin White Sharp Cheddar Cheese
How to Make It
Cook pasta in boiling water per manufacturer's directions. Cool the finished cooked pasta in cold water and drain. Toss the drained pasta with a teaspoon of vegetable oil to prevent sticking and reserve until ready to use in a covered container under refrigeration.
Start making the sauce by melting 1/2 cup of butter in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the flour to the saucepan and stir. Continue stirring and cooking until the mixture becomes a light tannish/brown color. This takes about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken broth, milk, salt and mustard, then stir or whisk until everything is well incorporated.
Bring the sauce to a simmer while stirring occasionally. Simmer sauce for 5-10 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low on the sauce and stir in the shredded Swiss cheese and reserve.
In a small mixing bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs, smoked paprika and melted butter. Mix until the butter is fully dispersed and reserve.
Preheat oven to 350º F.
In a mixing bowl, add pasta, ham, broccoli and sauce, then fold together until everything is well distributed.
Return pasta mixture to a greased 3-quart casserole dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded Swiss cheese.
Top with panko mixture and bake at 350º F for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165º F and the panko mixture is browned.