- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 pounds ground, cooked ham
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (16-ounce) carton commercial sour cream
How to Make It
Sauté onion in bacon drippings until tender. Combine sautéed onion, ham, breadcrumbs, egg, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon marjoram in a large mixing bowl. Mix well, and shape into 2-inch meatballs. Place meatballs in a greased 13-x 9- x 2-inch baking dish; bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add flour; stir until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated. Stir in remaining salt, pepper, and marjoram.
Spoon sour cream mixture over ham balls; reduce temperature to 300°, and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Note: Ham Balls may be made in 1-inch balls for an excellent appetizer.