- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 thin slices center-cut, fully cooked ham (about 1 pound)
- 24 stalks fresh asparagus, cooked and drained
How to Make It
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Add whipping cream, 1/4 cup cheese, salt, and pepper; stir until cheese melts. Set sauce aside.
Place a ham slice on a flat surface; place 3 asparagus spears in center of ham, and top with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up jellyroll fashion; place rolls seam side down in a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish. Repeat procedure with remaining ham and asparagus. Pour sauce over ham rolls; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Broil 4 to 5 inches from heating element 4 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.