The fillings are baked into the bread, making it a perfect make-ahead handheld lunch. To vary this recipe, use prosciutto and mozzarella cheese.
Yield: 1 (1-pound) loaf, 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 262
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Carbohydrate: 39.1g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 453mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons bread-machine yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup (3 ounces) chopped ham
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cubed Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Follow manufacturer's instructions for placing flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through mustard) into bread pan, and select dough cycle; start bread machine.
- Remove dough from machine (do not bake). Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 30 seconds. Cover dough, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 10 x 8-inch oval on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the ham and cheese onto half of oval, lengthwise, leaving a 1-inch border. Fold dough over filling, and press the edges and ends together to seal.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and dust with cornmeal. Place loaf, seam side down, on prepared pan. Make 3 diagonal cuts 1/4-inch deep across the top of loaf using a sharp knife. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dough; brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note