- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 12 (3/4-inch-thick) French bread slices
- 6 (1-ounce) baked ham slices
- 6 (1-ounce) Swiss cheese slices
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
How to Make It
Stir together first 3 ingredients; spread evenly on 1 side of each bread slice. Arrange ham and cheese on half of bread slices, and top with remaining bread slices. Place in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Stir together eggs and milk, and pour over sandwiches, turning to coat. Cover and let stand 15 minutes.
Coat a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray, and brush with half of melted butter. Arrange sandwiches on baking sheet. Coat bottom of a second baking sheet with cooking spray, and brush with remaining melted butter. Place coated side down on top of sandwiches.
Bake at 475° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.