I thought this was a great favor combo and super simple to make. I would suggest cutting everything into thinner layers and stack - apple first, then watercress, then ham, then cheese - and serve that way. They fall apart too easily on the toothpicks/skewers. I also used arugala because of availability and it turned out great.
I've made these for two pool parties and a work potluck and everyone loved them at every function! Great food to travel with and delicious summer treat. A few tips:
1. Use a blue cheese WEDGE - NOT crumbles (clearly the reviewer below ran into issues). Use sparingly as blue cheese has a lots of flavor and can overwhelm the other flavors.
2. I was unable to find watercress in my area, so I substituted arugala. This gave a good crunch and a nice creamy/nutty flavor that complimented both the cheese and apple well!
3. Leave off the ham on some skewers to make this vegetarian
4. I also used Smoked Gouda instead of Bleu Cheese on 1/2 of the skewers. This was better for kids and people with picky palates.
5. I used "fancy" toothpicks and skewered them in order of: Apple, Arugala, Cheese, Ham. This kept the cheese from falling off or crumbling all over the place.
How would blue cheese actually adhere to a stick? I froze the blue cheese over night and the next morning it still did not work! I ended up using cheddar cubes to substitute. The watercress leaves end up tearing as well. So you basically end up with ham & cheese on a stick, very unappetizing...this should not be classified as an easy appetizer!!!
Eat Well. Lose Weight. Live Healthy. Delicious and healthy recipes customized for you!