Tastes like an omelette. My husband loves these!
Yield: 12 (3-inch) muffins or 2 1/2 dozen mini muffins
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- Poppy seeds (optional)
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine baking mix and half of cheese in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Stir together milk and egg, blending well; add to cheese mixture, stirring until moistened. Stir in onion and ham. Spoon into lightly greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until golden. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes before removing from pans.
- NOTE: Substitute mini muffin pans for regular pans, if desired. Bake at 425° for 14 minutes or until golden. Makes 2 1/2 dozen mini muffins.
- Reduced-fat Ham-and-Cheddar Muffins: Substitute low-fat baking mix, fat-free or low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, and fat-free milk. Reduce butter to 1 tablespoon; proceed with recipe as directed.
- Ham-and-Swiss Muffins: Substitute shredded Swiss cheese for Cheddar; whisk in 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard with milk and egg. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Sausage-and-Cheese Muffins: Substitute 1 cup hot or mild ground pork sausage, cooked and crumbled, for chopped ham. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Chicken-and-Green Chile Muffins: Substitute 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken for ham and 2 cups shredded Mexican four-cheese blend for Cheddar; add 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This