Great recipe. Crave every fall/winter. Be sure to use lean ham slice. Made with leftover ham bone - mush too greasy!
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Lisa Powell Bailey
More From Southern Living
- 1 (16-oz.) lean ham steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tablespoon jarred ham-flavored soup base
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (15-oz.) cans navy beans, drained
- 2 (15-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (15 1/2-oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 4 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 lb.)
- Garnish: Fall Potato Leaves
- 1. Trim fat from ham steak; coarsely chop ham. Reserve bone.
- 2. Cook ham in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add diced onion, and next 5 ingredients, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- 3. Stir in reserved ham bone, navy beans, and next 3 ingredients; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes. Remove and discard bone before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Ham-and-Bean Soup With Fresh Spinach: Prepare recipe as directed, stirring in 1 (5-oz.) package fresh baby spinach, thoroughly washed, just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews