- 1 (16-ounce) package dried great Northern beans
- 3 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ham bone
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Cornbread Croutons
How to Make It
Sort and wash beans. Place beans in a 6-quart Dutch oven; add water 2 inches above beans, and soak 8 hours. Drain.
Sauté ham, onion, and garlic in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add beans, ham bone, chicken broth, and red pepper. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender and soup has thickened. Serve with Cornbread Croutons.