I cut out this recipe when it was published in 2004 and made it for the first time in 2013. It is wonderful!! Am so sorry I waited so long to try it! I purchased packaged tostada tortillas, used greek yogurt instead of plain, chopped up napa cabbage for a fresher taste, and sprinkled with queso fresco. Everyone who's tried these LOVES them…..
Halibut Tostadas with Yogurt-Lime Sauce
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 321
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 28g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 724mg
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut pieces
- 5 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas (6 in.; see notes)
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (8 oz.)
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup lightly packed rinsed fresh cilantro leaves
- Fresh salsa
- 1. Rinse halibut and place on a plate. Pour 4 tablespoons lime juice over fish; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, pour 1/2 inch oil into a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan with sides at least 2 inches tall over medium-high heat. When surface looks rippled, gently lower a tortilla into oil and cook, turning once, until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly. Repeat to fry remaining tortillas. Discard oil and wipe pan clean.
- 3. In a small bowl, stir together yogurt, sugar, chili powder, and the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 4. Set pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add fish to pan along with lime juice, cover, and cook until opaque in the center (cut to test), 10 to 12 minutes. Break fish into flakes with a fork.
- 5. Pit, peel, and slice avocado. Place a fried tortilla on each plate and layer equally with shredded cabbage, flaked halibut with its juices, yogurt sauce, avocado slices, cilantro leaves, and fresh salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This