- 1/2 pound large fresh shrimp
- 1/2 cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 medium eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 5 medium egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (1/2-pound) halibut or grouper fillet
How to Make It
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired. Set aside.
Combine cornmeal and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together 3 egg yolks and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
Beat 8 egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third egg white mixture into cornmeal mixture; repeat procedure twice using remaining egg white mixture and cornmeal mixture.
Brown butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Place fillet in center of skillet; pour batter over top.
Bake at 400° for 20 minutes; place shrimp on top, and cook 10 additional minutes or until spoon bread is golden and shrimp turn pink. Serve immediately.