Haemul Pajeon (Korean Seafood Pancake)
It's been a while since we had pajeon (literally translated pa=green onion/scallions and jeon=pancake, thus green onion pancake) since our California days with unlimited makgeolli (fermented rice wine). But for the sake of adding to our recipe list, we decided to make haemul pajeon (seafood pancake) for tonight while the kids spend the night at Komo's house (Auntie's). There are endless variations of this dish which can be made by adding or omitting certain ingredients according to personal preference. There are some great places in Korea that make this using fresh, whole seafood that is unbelievably delicious. I've tried to replicate it but to no avail. This dish also referred to as anju (alcohol-accompanied side dish) which is very popular in Korean restaurants and bars. The recipe below also includes a basic dipping sauce that can be made in minutes.
Yield: 2 servings
Community Recipe from
- 2 cup(s) all purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 whole(s) eggs
- 3 cup(s) seafood medley (shrimp, shellfish, clams)
- 1 bunch(es) scallions 2 inch pieces
- 1 dash(es) salt and pepper
- 1.Mix all ingredients (minus the dipping sauce) together in a mixing bowl until a thick batter mixture is created. It should be similar thickness as regular pancakes.
- 2.Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and add a generous amount of olive oil. Pour half of the batter evenly over the pan. Cook for about 7, 8 minutes or until the bottom and its edges are browned. Carefully flip over and cook another 7, 8 minutes.
- 3.Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the dipping sauce and set aside.
- 4.Transfer to serving plate whole or cut pancakes into desired pieces with the dipping sauce.
- *Purchasing fresh seafood is a good option for serious seafood lovers. However, it will require more time and energy cleaning them (and sometimes gutting them) so I advise buying ready-made frozen seafood carried by most grocery stores.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by oliviajasonkim and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes