I like the idea of spiciness inside the cornbread muffin, but somehow this missed the mark for me. I found the cornbread to be dry and would like the spiciness of the habanero jam to be spread more evenly.
Habanero Surprise Muffins
Notes: For bread that is sweeter and more tender, use the largest measure of sugar.
Yield: Makes 12 muffins
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 186
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 3.8g
- Fat: 6.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 333mg
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons or 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup habanero or jalapeño jelly
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2. Spoon half the batter equally into 12 buttered 2 1/2-inch muffin cups. Top each portion with 2 teaspoons habanero or jalapeño jelly. Fill cups equally with remaining batter.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until muffins spring back when lightly pressed in center and are lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note