- 1 (16-oz.) package cavatappi pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, casings removed
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 (16-oz.) package pasteurized prepared cheese product, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups (8 oz.) freshly shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded aged Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 (5-oz.) package unsalted kettle-cooked potato chips, crumbled*
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare pasta according to package directions for al dente, adding salt to water.
Meanwhile, cut sausage lengthwise into quarters. Cut each quarter into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
Sauté sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until browned around edges; drain on paper towels.
Bring cream to a simmer in Dutch oven over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and stir in cheese product. Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted. Stir in sausage and remaining cheeses; cook, stirring constantly, until cheeses are melted. Remove from heat; stir in hot cooked pasta.
Pour mixture into a buttered 3-qt. baking dish or 12 (8-oz.) ramekins; top with potato chips. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until bubbly and browned. Remove from oven, and let stand 5 minutes.
Note: We tested with Velveeta.
*Lightly salted potato chips may be substituted.
Recipe adapted from Fire In My Belly.