- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning (we tested with Tony Chachere's)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti, broken in half and cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: additional chopped green onions
How to Make It
Peel and devein shrimp, if desired. Combine shrimp and Creole seasoning in a medium bowl; set aside.
Cook bacon drippings, flour, and oil in a large skillet over medium heat, whisking constantly, 20 to 25 minutes or until roux is the dark brown color of pecan shells. Add 1/3 cup onion and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes or until tender. Add thyme and next 3 ingredients; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add shrimp and 4 green onions; cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until shrimp are almost done; transfer to a large bowl.
Add broth to skillet, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen browned bits. Add whipping cream. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes. Add to shrimp. Stir in cooked pasta; toss well to combine. Pour into a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.