My husband LOVES this recipe. He's not a shrimp fan so I do use chicken instead. I just cut up chicken and put it in the stock for the entire time. I also add andouille sausage when I add the green onions. If you add the sausage you probably want to leave out or cut back on the red pepper.
- 2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons file powder
- Hot cooked rice
- French bread
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired; set aside.
- Cook oil and flour in a Dutch oven over medium heat, whisking roux constantly until it is a dark caramel color (about 12 minutes).
- Reduce heat to low; add onion and bell pepper, and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth gradually, stirring until blended. Stir in garlic and next 3 ingredients; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and green onions; cook, covered, 10 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Remove from heat, and stir in file powder. Let stand 10 minutes before serving; serve over rice with French bread.
- Prep: 30 min., Cook: 1 hr., Stand: 10 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This