Rave reviews from friends and family. The batter is very liquid-y but I simple watch the temperature and time on my tempestuous oven. Did take closer to an hour to fully bake. My favorite gingerbread cake recipe.
Guinness Stout Gingerbread Cake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 713
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 4.9g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 97g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 292mg
- Cholesterol: 138mg
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup Guinness stout (not extra stout)
- 1 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Butter two 8- by 8-in. glass or light-colored metal baking dishes. Bring Guinness stout and dark molasses to a boil in a large, deep saucepan. Remove from heat and whisk in baking soda (it will foam up dramatically); let cool. In a bowl, whisk together cinnamon, ginger, allspice, salt, and flour.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup crystallized ginger, melted butter, and dark brown sugar and stir together with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and lemon zest and stir once more. Gradually stir in dry ingredients in four batches, alternating with Guinness mixture. Pour batter into greased baking dishes, dividing evenly.
- 3. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean. Cool cakes on a wire rack, then dust tops with powdered sugar. Cut each cake into 4 to 6 squares and arrange on a serving platter.
- 4. In a small bowl, whip cream and granulated sugar together until cream holds soft peaks. Stir in all but a teaspoon of crystallized ginger and serve in a bowl alongside the cake, sprinkled with the last bit of ginger.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
May be made up to 2 days ahead. Cool, cover with plastic wrap, and store at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note