Made this for Mothers Day dinner and it was a big hit. I followed the recipe exactly as written and it came out great. Definitely a keeper!
Guava paste is found in Latin markets and gourmet stores, often in slabs larger than 12 ounces. Slice leftover paste, and serve it with cream cheese or Manchego and crackers as a simple appetizer. Garnish the cheesecake with mint sprigs, if desired.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 295
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 48.5g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 87mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 6 cookie sheets)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 12 ounces guava paste, cut into small pieces
- 5 large egg whites, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 (8-ounce) packages 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine 1/3 cup sugar, crumbs, and butter. Press mixture into bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 7 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- 4. Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, juice, and guava paste in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Pour mixture into a blender, and process until smooth. Cool completely. Stir in 1 egg white.
- 5. Combine remaining 1 cup sugar, sour cream, and cheese in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at low speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and salt. Gradually add remaining 4 egg whites, beating well after each addition. Pour cheese mixture into prepared pan. Drizzle guava mixture over cheese mixture; swirl mixtures using the tip of a knife. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until cheesecake center barely moves when touched.
- 6. Turn oven off; cool cheesecake in closed oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven. Run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note