Guava-Cream Cheese Pastries
Photo: Con Poulos
These delicious pastelitos (filled pastries) have a crisp, buttery puff-pastry shell. They're a great, easy-to-make dessert.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 (large) egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 14 ounces (one package) all-butter puff pastry, thawed
- 6 ounces guava paste, mashed (see Note)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 6 pieces and chilled
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with the milk.
- On a lightly floured work surface, unfold the puff pastry and cut it into 6 squares. Transfer the squares to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cut the guava paste into 6 equal portions and spoon onto half of each pastry square. Top with the cream cheese. Brush the pastry edges with some of the egg wash. Fold the pastry over the filling to form rectangles and crimp the edges with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Brush the pastries with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan from front to back halfway through, until the pastries are golden. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Note: Guava paste can be found in supermarkets and Latin-American food stores.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note