The chips are very good but a little tricky to get the time right before they burn. I burnt half of mine in under 12 minutes so watch carefully. The guacamole is delicious! I received a number of compliments. One suggestion was to add a bit of black pepper. The amount of jalapeño is pretty heavy I depending on your guests tolerance to heat. I would also reduce the amount of lime juice just a bit. There was a little too much liquid and lime flavor in mine but I think it depends on the size of your avocados so just adding carefully and to taste would help I smashed up my avocado in a ziplock bag and then used the bag to mix in the remaining ingredients. It helps to get everything mixed together and is good for storing for short periods of time. Definitely will make again.
Guacamole with Chipotle Tortilla Chips
Chipotle chile powder gives the crunchy chips a smoky kick that pairs well with the buttery guacamole. Use ground cumin or regular chili powder in its place, if you prefer. Prepare the chips up to a day ahead, and store in a zip-top plastic bag.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 57
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 8.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 207mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (such as McCormick)
- 3 tomatillos
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped plum tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe peeled avocados, seeded and coarsely mashed
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chips, cut each tortilla into 8 wedges; arrange tortilla wedges in a single layer on 2 baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle wedges with 1/2 teaspoon salt and chile powder; lightly coat wedges with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until wedges are crisp and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- To prepare guacamole, peel papery husk from tomatillos; wash, core, and finely chop. Combine tomatillos, onion, and remaining ingredients; stir well. Serve guacamole with chips.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note