Gruyère Cheese Sauce
You can make this up to two days ahead and store in the refrigerator. Reheat in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes, stirring halfway through.
This recipe goes with Gentlemen's Casserole
More From Southern Living
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Microwave milk in a 2-cup microwave-safe glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 minute.
- 2. Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in warm milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; whisk in cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce: Substitute extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese for Gruyère. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note