This recipe was blander than I'd expect from an collection of southwest cooking. I'll probably add some red pepper flakes or a bit of poblano next time I make it to give it some kick.
Grown-up Mac 'n' Cheese
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Dan Becker
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 511
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 569mg
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- 12 ounces ziti pasta
- 4 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 ounces gruyère cheese, coarsely shredded
- 4 ounces Italian fontina cheese, coarsely shredded
- 2 ounces freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1. Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- 2. Fry bacon meanwhile in a medium saucepan over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 3. Pour off all but 1 tbsp. fat from pan. Add flour and whisk over medium heat. Pour in milk 1/4 cup at a time, whisking well after each addition (it will be very thick at first) until incorporated and smooth. Add cheeses in 3 batches, whisking continually and making sure each batch is mostly melted before adding the next.
- 4. Drain pasta, then stir into cheese sauce (it will thicken upon standing). Divide pasta among individual ramekins or bowls and top with bacon and chives.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes