Pretty tasty. We used our panini press and it went together in only a couple of minutes. One could easily substitute any cheese or bread choice here.
Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
A new take on a familiar favorite pairs grilled cheese with a BLT for a luscious veggie-packed sandwich that feels like an indulgence. Serve with zesty dill pickle spears. If you have extra room in your budget, pair with a sweet-tart hard cider.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 376
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 20.2g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 876mg
- Calcium: 308mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp white cheddar cheese (such as Cracker Barrel)
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread (such as Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato
- 6 slices center-cut bacon, cooked
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 1 cup onion and garlic; cook for 10 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese over each of 4 bread slices. Top each slice with 1/2 cup spinach, 2 tomato slices, 2 tablespoons onion mixture, and 1 1/2 bacon slices. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese; top with the remaining 4 bread slices.
- 3. Heat skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place sandwiches in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note