I have been making this recipe since it was first in Coastal Living in 2001. I probably have made it at least 10 times per year since. My most requested recipe especially during the summer months here at the beach, adults and kids. Its great, always double it because there's never any left.
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) grouper fillet, cut into 1- by 2-inch nuggets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 crackers, crushed*
- 2 teaspoons quick-cooking grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Canola oil
- Herbed Tartar Sauce
- Stir together eggs and milk, and pour over fish nuggets; chill for 1 to 3 hours.
- Combine flour and next 9 ingredients in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add one-third of grouper nuggets, and shake to coat; repeat process twice. Chill coated nuggets for 30 minutes.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a large skillet; heat to 350°.
- Recoat nuggets with remaining breading mixture, and fry in batches for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with Herbed Tartar Sauce.
- *In testing, we used Saltine crackers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note