- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (1 1/2-pound) grouper fillet, cut into 1- by 2-inch nuggets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 crackers, crushed*
- 2 teaspoons quick-cooking grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Canola oil
- Herbed Tartar Sauce
How to Make It
Stir together eggs and milk, and pour over fish nuggets; chill for 1 to 3 hours.
Combine flour and next 9 ingredients in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Add one-third of grouper nuggets, and shake to coat; repeat process twice. Chill coated nuggets for 30 minutes.
Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a large skillet; heat to 350°.
Recoat nuggets with remaining breading mixture, and fry in batches for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with Herbed Tartar Sauce.
*In testing, we used Saltine crackers.