The seasoned lamb is delicious. While I was skeptical about the 1/2 pita, it turned out great for the "pizza". I did use the pita pockets so they could be split easier. A tasty alternative to a traditional pizza. Not a big serving, but would make again.
Ground Lamb and Hummus Pita "Pizzas"
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29.3g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 535mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 6 ounces ground lamb
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 (6-inch) pitas
- 1/2 cup plain hummus
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble lamb. Remove lamb from pan. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon); sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup water and tomato; bring to a simmer. Cook 4 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften. Stir in cooked lamb. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- 3. Split each pita into 2 rounds. Place pita rounds on a baking sheet. Broil 1 minute on each side or until crisp. Spread 2 tablespoons hummus on each round. Top each serving with about 1/3 cup lamb mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cilantro and nuts.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note