- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup regular grits, uncooked
- 1 pound smoked or fresh oysters, drained (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
How to Make It
Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in grits; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until grits are cooked and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; cool. Stir in oysters, if desired.
Combine Parmesan cheese and next 4 ingredients; stir into grits.
Note: If baking stuffing separately, spoon 12 cups into a shallow 3-quart baking dish. Bake at 325º for 45 minutes.