Grits and Grillades
The Twist: Lean round steak browns in a reduced amount of oil, then simmers to fork-tender perfection in a slow cooker.
More From Southern Living
Other: 3 Hours
- 1 1/2 pounds top round steak (1/2 inch thick), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- Asiago Cheese Grits
- 1. Place steak between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a rolling pin or flat side of a meat mallet; cut into 2-inch squares.
- 2. Combine flour and Creole seasoning in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag. Add steak; seal bag, and shake to coat.
- 3. Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of steak, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned; transfer steak to a 4- or 5-qt. lightly greased slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and steak. Add tomatoes and next 2 ingredients to slow cooker, and stir.
- 4. Cover and cook on HIGH 3 hours or until steak is tender. Meanwhile, prepare Asiago Cheese Grits. Serve steak mixture over grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note