I sautéed spinach in onion and garlic instead of using collard greens and this worked well. To boost the flavor, I added a little nutmeg to the spinach at the end and then mixed with the cheese grits. Great vegetarian option using veg broth.
Grits-and-Greens Breakfast Bake
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
2 Hours, 7 Minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 10 large eggs, divided (not separated)
- 3 cups Simple Collard Greens, drained
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Bring salt and 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking often, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese and butter.
- 2. Whisk together half-and-half, next 2 ingredients, and 2 eggs in a medium bowl. Stir half-and-half mixture into grits mixture. Stir in Simple Collard Greens. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Remove from oven.
- 4. Make 8 indentations in grits mixture with back of a large spoon. Break remaining 8 eggs, 1 at a time, and slip 1 egg into each indentation. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until eggs are cooked to desired degree of doneness. Cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let stand 10 minutes. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch