Grits and Pino Casserole
Cool: 10 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 cup(s) water
- 2 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 cup(s) stone-milled grits
- 2 cup(s) sharp cheddar cheese, divided use
- 2 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt, divided use
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper, divided use
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cup(s) finely chopped yellow onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pound(s) ground chuck (lean, if preferred)
- 2 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 3 cup(s) chopped pimento-stuffed olives
- 1 1/4 cup(s) raisins
- 1/3 cup(s) thinly sliced green onions ( white and green parts)
- 1. Place water and milk in a pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Slowly add the grits in a thin stream while whisking vigorously. When the grits begin to thicken, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, about 20 minutes or until grits are soft and creamy. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup of the cheese, ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste, ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste and the butter. Stir until well combined. Remove from heat.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add chuck, paprika, cumin, oregano, cayenne, remaining 1½ teaspoons salt and remaining ½ teaspoon black pepper. Cook, breaking up clumps of meat with a wooden spoon until beef is browned. (If desired, drain any excess fat.) Stir in olives and raisins. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes.
- 3. Place meat mixture in the bottom of a 9-by13-by-2-inch baking dish. Spread grits evenly over the meat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes, then top with green onions and serve. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note