very good! a new way to serve salmon. oven baked without chives or cilantro, knew those flavors would accompany in the salsa, which adds freshness to the recipe.
Grilled Wild Salmon with Cucumber-Avocado Salsa
Although farmed salmon is widely available, the fat content is higher than in wild salmon, which swim freely and feed on a natural diet. My favorite is wild Alaskan salmon found in the icy waters of the Pacific. I used wild sockeye for this recipe. Rub grill grates with the sliced side of a russet potato--the starch keeps fish from sticking. You can also make this dish by roasting it in the oven: Cook at 425° for 15 to 18 minutes. Prep: 20 minutes, Grill: 12 minutes.
- 1 (2-pound) side of salmon, skin on
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 limes
- Cucumber-Avocado Salsa
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Place salmon on a work surface, and remove any excess fat. Feel for any small bones, and remove with tweezers or a strawberry huller. Place salmon flat on a large glass baking dish. Rub salmon with oil; sprinkle with sea salt and next 3 ingredients.
- 3. Squeeze juice of 1 lime over salmon just before cooking. When the grill is hot, place salmon flesh side down, and cook, undisturbed, about 6 minutes or until salmon releases from grill easily and is golden brown on the cooked side.
- 4. Turn salmon over, and place it skin side down on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil (cut longer than the fish). Squeeze juice from remaining lime over salmon, and cook, covered with grill lid (or additional foil), 6 more minutes or until fish starts to flake. Lift salmon in aluminum foil from heat, and let rest, loosely covered, about 5 minutes before slicing. (It will continue to cook slightly.)
- 5. Remove skin before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with Cucumber-Avocado Salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This