This was good but needed more flair. I'm making it again with Kalamata olives and will mix in a little of the brine to flavor the couscous. I agree with needing more lemon juice. It's a good basic recipe and lends itself well tailoring to personal taste.
Grilled Vegetables and Chickpeas with Couscous
Served over couscous, this vegetable-bean combination makes a complete one-dish meal with rich flavors of the Middle East. Add the Grilled Onion Raita (page 178) as a side dish, or serve with hot pepper sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 325
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 8.6g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 270mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 1 large zucchini (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large yellow squash (about 6 ounces)
- 1 small green bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1/2 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled feta cheese
- Prepare grill.
- Cut zucchini and squash lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place zucchini, squash, bell peppers, and onion on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until well browned. Remove vegetables to a cutting board; cool. Chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces; place in a large bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous and the next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon). Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add couscous, tomatoes, and remaining ingredients except cheese to vegetable mixture; toss well. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note